Let's take a different perspective. Say you are the teacher. Part of her job is to encourage students to develop good work habits that prepare them for post-high school work and study. Although some students (like your DD) have already developed excellent time management and responsibility skills, others have not. Unless the teacher is to follow every student home and watch them study, she must find some other, more time-efficient, means to support the development of these skills. This happens to be the solution she has chosen. It may or may not be the best solution for everyone, nor is it necessary for every student, but there is probably some history that suggests to her that it is typically necessary, generally effective, and reasonably practical. Since it is not personally directed at any one, it is actually much less insulting than if she picked a few students and publicly called them out on their poor study habits.

Any time you have group rules or policies, there will be some people who would follow those rules without them being formalized, many who will follow them because they are formalized, and a few who will follow them only under threat of consequences. There is no need to feel insulted because you happen to have the virtue of falling in the first category. E.g., I presume no one here is insulted that there are laws against theft, arson, and murder.

ETA: And on a practical note, if I trust that my daughter is exhibiting good work habits with regard to this class, I think I would simply sign off and call it a day, based on her self-report. One could sign with a note to the effect of "has met homework expectations." Though I might investigate a little further on the question of homework/study expectations school-wide, as a separate issue.

Last edited by aeh; 08/26/16 12:45 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...