School starts September 3rd. I think I will call tomorrow and just ask if the information packets have been mailed yet? Teachers name, school supplies, etc. I think I want something in writing that states that DS5 is indeed registered for grade 1 before I send a letter that may or may not get a reply.

Kriston: I am very tempted to just see how it goes.

Questions and LMom: Thanks for the family consultant idea but I am not sure they can help. NH law state that each district can have it's own policies regarding early entry. Unfortunately my large (for NH) district has a policy and entrance to K and 1st grade are based on age only--no exceptions. Other cases of this occuring in the state have occured outside our district. Both the Vice Principal and I did our research last spring to no avail. They did tell me that once DS5 reached the age requirements it would be up to the school to determine grade placement--so grade skipping later on is a possibility and I am told it has happened at this particular school.

Val: Great advice about Montessori first grade but our school only has the 3-6 year old program. There is no elementary school Montessori in our immedicate area.

I think I would need to be pretty confident that they would allow him to stay in 1st grade before I pull him from the Montessori school. I know there is a waiting list for the Montessori school and if I pull him I would lose our spot. I have also already paid the first month of tuition for Montessori. I doubt I could get a refund at this stage.

I also worry about the quality of education:
*1st grade Public school--nothing set up for accomodations. No G/T program until 3rd grade (and I am told it's a joke).
or
*K at Montessori--teachers knows his ability. No true peers and DS5 will be one of the oldest children. Already mastered most of the available material. The plan is to allow DS to do more projects, self-guided learning, explore same topics as other children but in more depth. I worry that the teachers will not be able to keep him engaged at his level.

Urgh--I know I won't get much sleep tonight.

Crisc