A little background first:We took DS5 to register for K at the public school back in the Spring. I had actually hoped that he could skip K and start in 1st this fall. He is a Davidson Scholar and has test scores to easily support a skip. I was told that the answer was NO since K was not mandatory in the state of NH and until he was 6 by September 30th of that year they could nothing to accomodate him. (He will turn 6 in Decemeber of this year) I met with both the Principal and Vice Principal. They both said, "We know that it's not right but we can't do anything for you for this fall". I accepted this and decided that fighting for 1st grade was silly since even there he would need accomodations in at least Math and Reading.

We decided to keep him at his current Montessori school for the extended day/K year. We did complete all the registration paperwork in case something changed but had no intentions of sending him to public school this year.

Fast forward to June and I received a letter asking us to indicate if we were interested in a loop classroom for 1st/2nd grade years. I thought this was a little wierd since my son was registered for K. I honestly didn't think they would be preparing for the 2009-2010 school year already. I called the school and spoke with someone who told me it must have just been a mistake since K parents were not supposed to get the mailing. I didn't think to ask her specifically about my son's registration.

Today I received a card in the mail that told me the bus route and time for my son. K students don't ride the bus in our district---only 1st grade and above.

Obviously light bulbs are going off now and I think my son is registered for 1st grade at public school. I plan to call tommorrow morning and ask who is teacher is and what grade he is registered for. If he is actually registered for 1st grade do I send him? This could mean a difference of about $10,000 in tuition costs. My fear is that they will realize their mistake and then tell me he can't come to school anymore---on the other hand if he fits it maybe they'll just allow him to stay.

Crisc