Both my boys potty trained at 4.5 years old.

The oldest was a withholding nightmare resulting in constipation and problems. Anxiety and Developmental delays (later Aspergers dx) were a part of it. I try to block that out of my memory. But some things I found were scheduling a sit down on the toilet every night right after bath/shower. The warmth of the water helped relax him and then once he was in the habit his body responded to the routine. I will say that 12 years later I don't have to monitor his bathroom habits--thank god because I thought that day was never going to come back when he was 4-7 years old.

The second was just comfortable with the status quo happy go lucky not in any rush. He was easy once I finally said enough is enough. I put the older boy in spring break gymnastics day camp (both loved their gymnastics classes so he wanted to go too). Day camp didn't take kids not potty trained and I told him that he could have gone too if he would use the toilet and I would do a week of summer day camp for both if he potty trained over spring break. I bought a giant package of m&ms and tons of juices and drinks that I normally didn't buy. Older son out of the way we were able to potty train in three days. Easy peasy. Week of summer gymnastics camp reward in June and we were all happy!