Hmmm… I am just another parent here - I am not an expert on gifted testing and did not have my kids tested until they were older, but there are others on this board who I am sure can give you good advice on testing. One thing they are likely to say is that it is hard for a variety of reasons to get reliable test results for giftedness for a kid so young.

What strikes me as surprising about your story is that the teacher would recommend testing *on the first day*. From what you described, it sounds like it might be worth giving adjustment to school a bit more time, unless you have concerns as well. In some cases, testing leads to early interventions that can be very beneficial.

One of my two kids was pretty sensitive (prickly?) at that age, and the adjustment from daddy day care to being comfortable at preschool took a long time. There were certain triggers in our case - dd would lose it if any of the preschool staff would touch her, for example. Also, dd did not speak at preschool for almost the whole first year. The teachers didn't come out and suggest ASD testing, but they dropped heavy hints.

We discussed it with our pediatrician, and based on her input and our gut feeling did not pursue the testing. DD is now 16yo, still a bit prickly and unconventional in many ways, but also wicked smart. I wouldn't have her any other way.

Follow your gut and give your precious child lots of love.

Last edited by amylou; 07/18/16 03:20 PM.