Originally Posted by suevv
Originally Posted by syoblrig
We're actually removing one of my children from our district's highly gifted program because there are so many kids in the classroom who don't behave. Their parents think their kids are precious snowflakes who shouldn't be expected to be quiet, sit in their seats or be respectful, and they literally say that to the teachers. I'm frustrated that we have to move my child, rather than the naughty children moving, but it's a losing battle. Thanks for doing your part early, to make your children good citizens.

I have to say that the precious snowflake comment feels very judgmental. I am a parent whose child has trouble with all the things you listed. We - meaning both he AND his parents - work very hard on this. We have expectations and consequences and he probably works harder on this than most any kid in his class. He also suffers for it a ton, because he knows he fails and he wants so badly to succeed.

Judgment doesn't help him or me as his mom...

You'll also never hear me saying that he "doesn't have to behave because he's gifted." That's ludicrous. But he is wired differently from other kids, and you will hear me defend him against the imposition of one-size-fits-all punishment/reward strategies and the attendant condemnation from teachers and other parents when they inevitably fail.

I'm sorry for my rant in response to your rant. But it just pushed every button for me as a mom. I'm sure you didn't mean it as a general condemnation of parents of kids (gifted or otherwise) who have behavior problems. It just sort of felt like it ....

I'm sorry this pushed your buttons. I obviously wasn't referring to you and it sounds like you're doing your best. But I WAS being judgmental about the preciously snowflake comment. I admit it, but I was referring to a specific situation. My child has to transfer schools because too many kids in the classroom can't or won't behave. There is so much more to the situation that I won't describe for privacy reasons, so I have to just leave it at that. My child is sensitive and seeing constant unruliness, bullying, and disrespect for rules and people affects my child's ability to concentrate and learn. I am frustrated that my child, the rule-follower, is the one to leave, but that's our choice.

This obviously has nothing to do with the OP, but I wanted to explain to suevv that I am describing my child's specific classroom environment, from our family's point of view, and am I sorry she felt I was judging her.