Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster. I have really learned a lot from reading the posts and I am constantly amazed at the depth of knowledge and willingness to help displayed by everyone in this forum. What a fantastic community you have built.

I have a quick question that I hope someone can address. My DS8 just finished 2nd grade and is currently undergoing private gifted testing at our local university.

I was informed that they wanted to break it up into two sessions as to not overwhelm him given the length of time (7 hours) and sustained attention it would require.

The first session was scheduled to be the Achievement Testing, along with a quick Fine Motor assessment (which would help the psychologist determine the appropriate IQ test to use), and the second session would consist of the actual IQ test.

We had our first session today which lasted 3.5 hours as planned. At the end of the session, the psychologist informed me that we were going to need to return for an additional session because they had barely made it halfway through the KTEA 3. I assumed DS8 might have had attention span issues contributing to the lag but according the tester he was on task but he "maxed out" (?) on math and reading components which created the delay. She vaguely referenced that he was working at a high school level in these areas. This is my first experience with this process so I am feeling a little bit clueless about what this means. I assume the more answers correct, the longer the test takes but how high does it actually go? The little bit of research that I have done for the KTEA seemed to indicate that it was a relatively short compared to others. Is it normal to require two separate 3.5 sessions to complete this particular achievement test?

In the end, what kind of data will the KTEA provide?

Thanks in advance for your help smile