Originally Posted by fjzh
I'm still struggling with how exactly to present the info to my daughter. "So, you did great at your evaluation, you were cooperative and friendly which was very helpful. And we learned that you are 'gifted.' Do you know what that means?" (No.) "Well, your brain works different. Not different-bad. Sort of different-good. Not different-better." And I'm tripping over my words in my imaginary conversation in my head already so I just keep not saying anything.
Why were you having her tested in the first place? You could use that as your starting point. So for instance, maybe you can explain that it's because you want to make sure that how things are taught at school is a good fit for how her brain works. Maybe you can explain that with the information you have, you can do more to help her flourish. Or whatever the case may be. I think it can be more about the way forward than about the actual numbers. Personally, I wouldn't emphasize those too much. Especially if they are particularly high, she may worry about having to keep up with that standard! I'd also tell her that this is just one piece of the equation and that it's not a huge deal.