You're all raising good points about the movies. I told my son he wouldn't see the second movie until after he'd read the second book. I still regret showing him the movie first--I don't like that his visions of the characters and the settings had to have been shaped by the film--but I know I had good reasons for doing so.

To the larger point--I see how I should concentrate on the books and hold the line on the movies. One of my other challenges is my kid doesn't have much in the way of 'currency' that isn't edible, but Harry Potter readings have proven to be one of those rare things. (That and supervised Wikipedia searches.) We let him have two chapters at night IF he tells us three things he did while at school that neither I nor his father could know about. He's been really reluctant to tell us about his day, unless he can use talking to stall eating a meal he's not completely thrilled with. Anyway, my point--Yeah, definitely keep movie 3 and up off the menu for a while and only after he's read the book it's based on.

I do see that maybe we can move on to subsequent HP books, if we keep them in the context of bedtime, because a parent will be sitting right there with him. I am going to rotate in other books after book two, though, simply because we have The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland sitting by ready to go and we want to get to those. And I need to go take notes on that reading recs thread for his age group... useful, that.