As best as I can figure out, "mild", "severe" etc only make sense in the context of "how much pain is this currently causing the child, and how much will it cause them in the future if we don't do something now?"

It's very, very important with 2E kids to realize that just because they are pulling together their superpowers of compensation to stay grade-level at the moment, it doesn't mean they are not increasingly struggling to keep up, and getting more stressed with every passing minute. Every day basic tasks become easier and easier for their classmates, freeing their brains up for more complex tasks - but not for the 2E child. When they try to take on those increasingly harder tasks, they are ALSO still putting just as much effort on all the basics, too.

As polarbear flags, there are some LDs which can be remediated; reading and spelling especially. If they are not remediated thoroughly and as soon as possible, today's "mild" impact becomes tomorrow's "severe" and destructive dysfunction.

A way I think about what it means to automate those basics skills - aka gain "fluency" is this: think about a child first learning to read, with books that have one or two words per page, and the child is painstakingly working their way through syllable by syllable to decode. A few years later, an NT child will be reading those pages as fast as they can turn them. Now imagine trying to do a research and analysis for a social studies paper - when you are still battling your way through each individual word of your research resources to decode, just like you did when you first learned to read, because that skill has not automated. And imagine writing that paper if your letter formation has not automated, and you still have to think about how to create each individual letter in each word, and how to space your words, and what letters you need and what order they go in and which one was the "b" again?... But yes, your disabilities are "mild" and so you CAN produce that paper.... eventually. Sort of.

2E kids have some amazing strengths and are incredibly good at faking it. But eventually they will hit demands higher than they can compensate for, if they haven't received the remediation they need, and also learned to use all the available accommodations to by-pass as much as possible the things which can't be remediated. My MG dyslexic daughter hit her wall in grade 3, going from "grade level" reading in two languages to completely unable to function in class. She didn't change. The curriculum expectations did. My HG son with (probable) severe ADHD-inattentive and expressive language issues didn't hit the wall until grade 6, when dramatically more sophisticated expectations for writing and executive function suddenly overwhelmed him. His mild, there's nothing-to-diagnose-here issues suddenly became severe I-can't-do-any- of-this-work issues, but again, *he* didn't change.

So as others say above, it is really, really important to not ignore "mild issues", because ignored, they don't tend to stay mild. If it's remediable, it needs remediating, as much as humanly possible, and preferably before he hits the wall and too much damage is done. It also needs accommodating for those parts that will either always be way harder/ slower/ less efficient for him even after remediation (such as using audio books, voice recognition/ word prediction, etc) and for those aspects of LD which simply aren't particularly remediable, like handwriting.

Sorry if this sounds lecture-y, it's not meant to! But I too constantly hear "it's mild" by people who mean "so we can ignore it", and that is a dangerous and destructive view of LDs. So a wee bit of a button of mine smile