Originally Posted by polarbear
Originally Posted by eco21268
Her response: "Yes, and he needs to understand that he made a COMMITMENT."

*REALLY*????? and yikes!!!! I can't believe they said that. (OTOH, I guess I can considering some of the clueless things school staff have said to us when advocating for our 2e kids over the years... but still....)

Honestly, is it at all fair to frame this as a student made a commitment? Did he honestly have a choice re whether or not to go to school? This is nothing at all like deciding to play on a soccer team, signing up for the season, and then quitting after the first game. Our kids are in school because the law says they have to go to school. We may make choices to attend optional school programs or take certain classes, and of course the student should strive to meet all the class requirements as best he/she can... but you can't frame any of that into the student being responsible because they "made a commitment". Well, I can't lol.

Sorry - hope you didn't think I was ranting at you eco, I wasn't. That comment just really rubbed me the wrong way. Good thing I wasn't the parent present at school at the time it was made smile
polarbear

ITA. If I'd been thinking on my feet, I'd have responded with something to the effect that if that is the case, the school has also committed to supporting him and meeting his needs as a learner.

The program is a "choice" program, meaning he is not "entitled" to be there. I don't think I'd have heard this at the school he is assigned to attend.

It sheds light on how they view the program, doesn't it.