Originally Posted by Ocelot
And I felt embarrassment. Then I heard the store employee's voice behind me, tinged with loneliness: "My God, I wish one person in this world was that happy to see me walk in the door." So I vowed to see his true joy at seeing someone as a gift, something perhaps to temper bit, but something precious.
That is a really cool story! Sometimes it's hard to remember to see the positives when our kids are different (and we are embarrassed for/with them).

Originally Posted by stemfun
This a really nice story. When my DS was in second grade he saw other children making fun of an unpopular child who had ADHD. They grabbed his backpack and wouldn't return it.

My DS insisted they stop making fun of him and return his backpack, which they did. He didn't know at the time that one of the adults in the school had observed him doing this and recommended him for a principal's award.
So nice. I love hearing about kids who aren't afraid to speak up when someone's being bullied. That takes guts!

DS and DD had an ethical argument about doing volunteer/service hours. DS wants to "go around helping people" during the summer and DD told him that would be great for his college apps--he was very offended by that notion. Guess which DC is much more successful and savvy at school? :P