My experience the past year with in-class differentiation in early grade math (before GT kicks in) is mixed. The teacher was enthusiastic, encouraging, and rather creative with her extension work at times, and DD regained confidence and happiness. When the teacher had time and a sufficient cluster of students to work a year-above level, this was done, through rotating three ability groups. I found out though, that if DD did not get 100% on a pre-test, she still worked though the regular class material. Sometimes she was working above-level for that topic, using the standards rubric for next grade mastery as a guideline. That meant only topics that spiraled were taught at the next level, where appropriate. Recently, though, when DD got 100% on a pre-test, she was given a packet of related work to do independently and not actually instructed in higher level material, because the teacher only has so much time and DD was the sole member at that level. Next year, I'd think SSA would be a better fit, but I don't know that it'll happen.