So I'm jumping in with no expertise of any kind here, but a lot of the language above really strikes me: weakness, detrimental neglect, depleting.... Two thoughts strike me.

1) Most LDs are not "weaknesses", evolutionarily speaking. Reading and writing, for instance, are recent inventions, and only even more recently have they become common expectations for all people. What is actually surprising is that so many people have brains designed to be able to automatically do functions which have no evolutionary use, let alone advantage. So most common LDs are only weaknesses in the construct of living in this exact moment of time and geography. And the biggest ones, in reading and writing, are severely exacerbated by the idiosyncrasies of the extremely illogical way we have developed the English alphabet and spelling (it's dramatically less debilitating to be dyslexic in Spanish). Even ADHD has some notable advantages - if you are not living in a modern, sit-quiet-at-a-desk-all-day-long-and-comply-society.

2) Now here I am just totally speculating, but the more I research, the more it seems to me that the more brains differ from the norm in one respect, the more they are likely to differ in numerous respects. It's not just one single function (that which we measure as IQ) that is different while everything else stays exactly the same. Rather, it all feels to me like the further one is from the norm, the more that brain simply functions differently from the norm in an increasing numbers of ways. The more intense thinking is part of a package of more intense feeling and sensitivity to what is experienced, resulting in some people truly experiencing the world in a qualitatively (and not just quantitatively) different way than most. Asynchrony, overexcitabilities, sensory issues, ASD might all be aspects of brains that just function differently from the norm. And these different and intense ways of experiencing the world may be part of what enables the different thinking, rather than a detrimental cost of it.

No proof of any of this, of course, but it's a different way of thinking about 2E. I personally find it helpful to recognize just how absolutely unnatural and discordant, evolutionarily speaking, modern school expectations are - for behaviour as well as functioning - for a significant portion of the human race. Instead of asking "Why can't my kids do this?", it's interesting to contemplate the question "Why should we ever expect any group of children to all be able to do this?"