Great input above. A few extra thoughts:

It sounds like your program may have more focus on high achievement than giftedness, which may make it a poor fit for 2E kids. That said, testing can still provide valuable info to help you figure out what your child needs and how you can help support all his Es, mutually contradictory as they can be in their demands. Unrecognized, unremediated, unsupported disabilities are a fast road to misery and anxiety in the classroom. My one caveat would be, testing by someone who is not a 2E expert can actually be worse than no testing at all.

In our experience, testing has definitely not been a one-time, best-age thing. The more we learn, the more we remediate/ support, the more we can see both the abilities that were masked and other disabilities that were all mixed up with the ones we know about. Every couple of years, it seems, we are back in the assessment zone, consolidating what we know and trying to figure out what the next set of issues to deal with might be.

I also can't emphasize enough what polarbear said, that 2E kids spend so much time struggling with their deficits, but desperately need to be fed, motivated, challenged and encouraged in their strengths. Failing to meet that hunger is an equally fast road to misery and anxiety in the classroom. School tends to be so focused on output that kids tend to end up spending all their time on their weaknesses, and having their learning dragged down to their lowest processing skill, rather than their higher conceptual abilities. aeh describes what they need beautifully in http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....w_to_start_homeschooling.html#Post230010 . We're trying to do what aeh is describing with our kids in public school, but I wouldn't call it a huge success.

So I guess all that to say, testing can be hugely valuable, and enrichment is essential. But both have to be the right kind for your kid, so look closely at what your school is offering to see if that is the right place to start, or you need to go elsewhere to meet one or both of those needs.