We are very open with our children about the strengths and weaknesses of each option. For that child, it was clear that the schools then available to us would not be able to accommodate instructional needs, in particular, in math. This is our highly social child, so we did have some concerns about leaving friends, and social resources, but at this age, our DC understood and articulated for us that the balance of benefit fell on the side of homeschooling at that time. I wouldn't say it was excitement, exactly, as we weren't dealing with actual unhappiness at school, but there was thoughtful consent.

This DC is also quite easy-going and adaptable, and very good at creating social connections in a variety of contexts, so that definitely made the transition easier. We also were proactive about facilitating the maintenance of friendships from the old school.

I would certainly encourage including your DC in the discussion, as you approach an actual decision. If you or she are on the fence, I would echo the suggestion above to use part of the summer as a trial period. And if you do take the plunge for a more extended period of time, don't be afraid to allow her a month or so of deschooling time, where you might not do anything more than hand her a book list. Especially where one of your reasons for leaving the b&m school is a toxic social environment. She may need some time to recover and refresh herself.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...