I submitted my 7th grader's Davidson application for the May 1 deadline, but meanwhile I am seeking ideas for helping the school situation next year. This was our first year back in PS after homeschooling for 6 years. The issue is that he is bored but not motivated except to get good grades; He certainly does not want to get more work because he is smart. He goes to a VERY competitive public school, and high school will be fine since they have honors everything, so we need to get through 1 more year of non-tracked education.

His strengths are math and music. He is accelerated and will go to the high school early each morning next year for Honors Algebra 2, but he's still bored. All of his grades range from 96%-102% (math). They have a gifted program that is mostly field trips but he has taken minimal interest in what they've offered and stresses about missing class - because it means more homework!

The only suggestion I've offered has been that we could fight for him not to have to finish his math homework when he "gets it", but to do enrichment problems like MathCounts instead. He said no, he's not interested. I can't even come up with any other ideas! Does anyone have any creative suggestions?