^ our district is somewhat similar.

This can be a real problem for HG students, because administration often feels like:

1. Parents with concerns about such students are largely seen as helicopterey/special snoflakey, not as appropriately involved. To be clear, there *are* a lot of parents that are unhealthily "involved" here.

2. We already skew the curriculum high because 30% of our students are GT-- there is a sense of surreality about conversations in which you spend the first twenty minutes convincing the person you are speaking with that you aren't there to argue for an A.. that your child has straight A's, and that is why you are there... It's very disorienting-- you spend a lot of time talking past such administrators. They can't quite grasp that you aren't about what is on paper (the straight-A resume, that is).

I know that they've done a few grade skips in other kids (but quietly), and that tends to be what actually happens with HG students. Beyond that, there is not much actual substance for gifted students who are actually identified. There are some club-based things, which are mostly run by a parents' cabal (best word I can think of)-- most of their kids are solidly bright-to-MG, and they do NOT appreciate kids at higher LOG.

In fact, the entire system often rejects the notion that there are kids at higher LOG, and you'd better stay solidly under the radar unless you want to be the target of a fair amount of the nasties, socially.

I've given up even convincing anyone else that we didn't particularly PUSH our DD into uni at barely 15. Better for them to simply forget that she even exists, and let us all go on about our lives.

Here, it's ALL about high achievement.

Just... not too high. wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.