Originally Posted by dreamsbig
Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
What's high achieving? Does it mean able to churn out ever-greater amounts of homework on time? Test at "A" level on all quizzes and exams?

In our district, "high achieving" means high standardized test scores using a LOCAL norm.

I've been VERY naive as to how much tutoring/prepping is going on in our district - a lot of these kids have been cramming since preschool. Because of this, you end up with results where nearly 30% of the district scoring in the top 4% nationally on some standardized tests.

So even though my (non-prepped/non-tutored) son's standardized test scores are all within the 90th percentiles nationally AND with a 133 FSIQ/133 GAI on the WISC-V (very even profile) and a 131 Cogat, he is NOT considered gifted.

I was actually told by the gifted director that he ISN'T EVEN CLOSE to being gifted. This is a district where 18% of students get either self-contained or pull-out gifted services.

This makes me sad on so many levels. Sad for the kids being pressured to cram for the tests. Sad that the families must feel that's the only way to get the right education for the kids. Sad for the actual gifted kids who are then ignored, like your son.