So, DD is in 5th grade right now. This year for the first time she was allowed to do accelerated math through the online classes that our district offers in partnership with some online course providers. She was flying through everything. The district told me that they usually would only allow a 5th grader to do 6th grade math. But since September, DD finished 6th grade math, 7th grade math, pre-algebra and algebra, plus additional projects. She wasn't sweating over this, mostly just worked on these things at school during math time, and only very occasionally did math at home. And her exam scores were all really high (she would get 99% or even 100% in the exams).

In the fall she will enter middle school. If she stays with online math, she will do geometry and will probably fly through it as well. If she goes back to the classroom, she will take an advanced geometry course, which is deeper and more rigorous. However, she will need to take this geometry class for a year because it is within a classroom and everyone goes at the same pace.

I'm torn because I want her to go for the advanced geometry. But I also don't think she needs a year to cover this. She was so bored in the past couple of years that she kept begging me to homeschool her. Things got so much better this year with the online option. I just don't want her to be so bored again.

What would you choose? I'm wondering whether I would suggest to the district to let her do the AoPS geometry as an alternative. But thing is AoPS classes are all in the evenings and she still needs to fill the math time at school with something...

Last edited by playandlearn; 04/21/16 06:35 AM.