Originally Posted by polarbear
He sounds a lot like both of my 2e kids in the middle elementary school years. I don't think there's really anything to worry about re finding his internal motivation to learn - I think what you're seeing is the effect of the environment he's in, which is not really something that you'll be able to change for a few years.

Originally Posted by KJP
There is no "working to learn" anything with him right now. He either knows it or doesn't.

don't be discouraged by it! Middle school was like night and day different re having access to appropriate level of challenge in the classroom, partly because they'd both grown into their accommodations much more by then and their 2nd e didn't hold them back from higher-level classwork anymore. School still wasn't easy thanks to their 2nd e, but access to higher level of intellectual classwork helped put them in a place where their *intrinsic* motivation began to show.

This is exactly my 2e son's experience. Elementary school was really challenging because we discovered his dyslexia, then worked (outside of school) to remediate it. The school wouldn't do anything because he wasn't far enough behind. His defense mechanism was to act like he didn't care about school. Teachers really liked him, but because dyslexia can look like kids can't read or write, they didn't encourage him to do better-- they thought he just wasn't all that smart.

In middle school he started getting the intellectual challenge he needed and started to engage with his school work and want to get good grades. He went from an average student to far above grade level in every subject.

Now in high school, he tested into every honors class, including English. And HE is the one who asked to take the placement tests. And he is very motivated to do well.

Last time I saw his 5th grade teacher, I told her how well he was doing and she just kind of stared at me in disbelief. There's no way the child she taught is the same kid he is in school now-- so she probably doesn't believe me. Whatever.

My advice is to keep supporting your child and realize that at this point, school is SO MUCH harder for him than for other kids. He's only 8, so it's not that surprising that he is reluctant to do what's really hard, especially when he sees that it's not hard for other kids like him. But he needs to feel good about himself while he's fixing the 2e part, so make sure you're giving him what he needs and help him find non-academic passions to boost his self-worth.

Last edited by syoblrig; 04/17/16 05:39 PM.