We have a 3yo (3y5m) son who seems to have a really good memory.

We first noticed it when he was 1 and we would started reading some board books off the top of our head and then he would find the book in the book rack and bring it to us.

Soon he was correcting us while reading if we missed a word, and then he would read from memory books like little blue truck and similar type books as we turned the pages.

So here we are now. Here is a list of things he's learned, but it mostly seems things that he has memorized. I don't know if anything requires any critical thinking.

-He can recognize uppercase and lowercase letters, including phonics. He will attempt to sound out words.
-He can count to 20 and knows basic colors in 2 foreign languages.
-Can count to over 100 in english (sometimes loses focus along the way, but capable), can count by 10's, and 5's.
-in the past two weeks he memorized Dolch Word list 1 and 2 here (http://www.theschoolbell.com/Links/Dolch/basic_lists/List1.html)
-He can do simple math if it adds up to 10 or less.
-He can identify all 50 states, all the continents, planets in solar system.

Is there some sort of progression in learning things that is a Best Practice. I feel if we sat down with him we could teach him to memorize almost anything. But I don't know how helpful it is to know all the bones in the body, capital of all the states, or things of the sort at this age.

Again so my questions is, what should we introduce to him that could actually be beneficial to him?

Last edited by Johnny; 04/12/16 07:31 AM.