If your school is recommending a skip, I would seriously consider it, since getting genuine school support is often half the battle in making a skip work. My elementary school wanted to skip me, but my mother declined thinking she was giving me a big advantage by ensuring that I would always be at the head of the class. I did continue to get great grades, but I was terribly restless until I got to college, and once I got to graduate school I realized I was very stunted in terms of knowing how to handle mistakes and true challenge.

My DS, on the other hand, has been skipped twice and has done beautifully. Not only is he still at the top of his class, but he has classmates (2+ years older) that he considers his true peers and finds school engaging and challenging. In addition to school support, we had a lot of other things going for us, like small class size and the fact that DS is tall, mature, social and doesn't have any learning disabilities to complicate things.

Before the second skip, DS moved up for a day for a trial visit. He and the teacher both knew before the day was up that he wouldn't be going back down to his old classroom. Do you think your DD could make a visit to test the water?