With very asynchronous children, you may have to let go of the idea of a "just right" grade level or placement. It may not be possible to find the sweet spot where the academic challenge is appropriate but the child will still fit in socially, emotionally and physically. Something's got to give and what that should be depends of the child. A lot of posters here have experience with one year's acceleration (as in a full grade skip) which some kids actually do better with socially than with their age peers, some opted for radical acceleration (2 or more years), dealing with the social ramifications as they came, some (like us) for some combination, in case one years acceleration (early entry) in a school with already fairly rigorous academics, some hit and miss subject acceleration and entry into a gifted program as soon as it became available (5th grade this fall).

Even when there is a congregated gifted program, there will be grade skipped kids and red shirted kids in there. At some point, it does not appear to matter so much.

I would focus on meeting her needs NOW. How does she do with age peers and older kids? What does she WANT? Some gifted kids gravitate to older kids on their own, and if they happen to be tall and mature for their age, a grade skip might be barely noticeable. Others continue to struggle socially but remaining in the lower grade simply wasn't an option because they were going nuts. Anecdotally, I'd say girls may have an easier time with acceleration than boys.

If the school thinks it's fine, I'd go for it - it would be unusual for a school to grade skip on a whim, usually it's the other way round,you have to fight teeth and nails.

Last edited by Tigerle; 04/06/16 09:42 AM.