I have two children, both with ADHD.
DD was dx 3 years ago when she was 8. She has been on medication since the day of dx and it has changed her life. The most important change for her was her self esteem, that rocketed. She was able to complete school work, manage her feelings and emotions better and actually focus on all the things she loved. She is complex and has other issues, but with a GAI of 170, she was unable to even get close to potential before medication. Without it, she just cannot function at all from simple tasks like eating to working out basic addition. The medication gives her the ability to converse, lead a normal life etc.

My DS (6.5yrs) was having huge issues in 1st grade, he was given a 1:1 to help get his work done. In 40 mins he would write one sentence with constant prompting and reminding. His work was poor, he couldn't concentrate enough to read properly...his eyes would lose focus and track badly. He missed recess, he was sent out of class etc. He is now on medication and has gone from needing a 1:1 to writing 2 pages in 40 mins without the aide. He is reading fluently and confidently. He no longer says, "I'm so stupid, I get my own teacher" so his self esteem and confidence have improved no end. We only medicated him for school hours but he needs constant supervision when not medicated.

For you, try adding in Omega oils to the diet, they can help. We also tried caffeine as well for a short term hit.
It was a hard decision to make with regards to medication, but one that I am so glad we did.