I actually tried a couple of years ago. I too got interested in my childhood IQ when I found out my son was gifted. I am a researcher anyway, so I like going on treasure hunts.

Here's what I found. My high school and middle school did not have the actual test- just a note on my file that I was eligible for the gifted program. In their case there was some turnaround time because the records were on microfiche. I was tested in sixth grade when I was still in elementary (30+ years ago). When I called the district that my elementary was in, I was told that my records should have followed me to middle/high school.

I have since spoken to the parent of a friend of mine (who also tested gifted around the same time I did) that the district did not share the actual test or results with parents at that time, you were simply gifted or you weren't. In her case, they didn't ever tell her her daughter's IQ, only that she was off the charts.

In my case, my elementary school was in a small district and I actually got a hold of someone who could look through old records, and he very kindly did, but he told me that there had been a fire at one point and he thought perhaps my records could have been destroyed since he could not find them.

If you are truly curious, it's worth a try. I'm not sure what I wanted out of my results, maybe to know what I was like at the same age and see if there were any similarities. Maybe to learn a little about myself at that age, period. Maybe just because I like treasure hunts.

That said, I'm not sure if you would get ahold of the actual test scores, maybe you would get a percentile. I finally had to settle for the fact that because I was in MGM I had to have had at least an IQ of 132 since that was the IQ you had to have to be accepted.

Some of my friends's children tested highly gifted this year, and they were not told anything by the district except that their children had qualified for highly gifted schools in the district. They had to request the percentile/raw scores in writing if they wanted more than that (and they had to know to ask for them).