Originally Posted by aeh
Working memory: the WISC-V includes measures of both auditory working memory and visual working memory (sort of--for some kids it is the visual component that is important, for others it is the concrete nature of the images, which allows them to put a meaningful name to the items they are remembering, versus meaningless numbers). The WISC-IV had only auditory working memory using semi-random symbols.

Interesting. I know our DD would definitely do better with the visuals. Her working memory was her lowest score on the WISC-IV.

Originally Posted by aeh
Adoption/estimated age: Age brackets are generally in four month increments. By the time children reach WISC age, I would not think that a difference of a few months between "real" and test age would make much of a functional difference. Early deprivation does affect intellect. But so do many other things, not all of which are very well defined, nor are they under our control. I prefer to think that this is water under the bridge. Focus instead on how much better off she is in every way, intellect included, because you have loved and cared for her.
Sadly some kids are adopted at ages years different than their paperwork ages including children I know. Because of food deprivation they are very small compared to their real age. This is a very small subset of the population, but it is concerning. Luckily, it usually is only a few months so hopefully, as you state, by the time a child is of a testable age, it would be a minimal difference.
The adoptive parents I work with as well as the adoptive parents I personally know deal with so many "what ifs". It's difficult not to think about how the children were affected.
Thank you for your thorough post!!