Testing Questions:
-Does DYS take into account a child’s age vs grade with the Explore? DD10 is grade skipped.

-WISQ – I’m curious about the working memory aspect of the test. DD shortly after the test was diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type. She is doing phenomenally well at middle school now with getting school supplies and homework to home and back to school again (at home it’s still la la land – so odd). I see that the WISC–V has different working memory portions plus it is available as a traditional paper and pencil format and the new digital format. How do these changes affect a child with ADHD? Also, are the newer WISC scores radically lower than the previous version (Flynn affect)?

-WISC and adoption issues: my daughters, many of their friends, and some of my clients were adopted. Some of these kids have guesstimated ages. If a child is months older or younger than stated is that important to the final score? Does a psych score in 6 month increments if that makes sense? Also, my DD11 came from a place of extreme emotional and physical deprivation (as were these other kids) and was adopted at 19 months. I have read studies to indicate that the early deprivation affects kids’ intellect in a variety of ways. Should a tester take a child’s history into account? I will always wonder if DD had not suffered would her IQ look different. I wonder about my clients.

Explore – how do an Explore scores correlate with ITBS scores? For example – DD in 4th grade took the ITBS 7th grade level. I wonder if Explore will give similar results, or are the tests so different that it’s apples to oranges?

To sum it up – I just do not know if we are “doing right” by DD and wonder if we should apply to DYS if the Explore scores are high enough. Or, do we bother with another IQ test. DD is sailing through 6th grade without having to lift a finger grade-wise but socially (as posted elsewhere) just suffering. She reports that she knows all her science and social study information already. She took the WISC 2 years ago plus the score was 2 points too low so I never bothered to apply. Her test results are always all over the place as she is not one to be bothered with testing or the inattentive part gets in the way. She did well though on the ITBS after I explained it would help her show the school she needed to get more challenging work. I sure would like some help with DD so DYS seems appealing…..