Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
She went from BOB books to Harry Potter in about six months. Not sure-- it was less than that, probably, because I only found out about the Harry Potter because it disappeared from the shelf and I found her with it late one night in her bed.

DS8 is another one in this camp. He was not reading, and then seemingly a few days later he was reading at an uncapped level. For him, it was a desire to independently play Magic the Gathering (which requires reading cards with some pretty complicated vocab and comprehension requirements). It was funny because we were in the midst of sorting out dyslexia remediation options and then BAM he was reading.

DS is not an "achiever" in school. He does the minimum necessary and is none to pleased about it. So, it is not unusual for me to engage in impostor syndrome thinking on his behalf. But then I remind myself of this and I recall that when that kid decides to learn something, it's already almost done. I think that might be a hallmark of PG kids (absent 2e hurdles - and sometimes even in spite of them).

Fun times for you and your little one. Wait until the first night you wake up and find the flashlight under the covers at 3:00am!

Sue