I am worried that the day-to-day writing/homework load might be overwhelming. She currently is in a middle school gt program. She demands a lot of herself and puts a lot of effort into school. She has decent time management skills but they deteriorate somewhat when she gets too much on her plate. We all pay for it when she is stressed out.

On the other hand, having more intense writing requirements in high school might be just what she needs to help her get ready for college. The way that the extended essay has been explained to me, it is a "check-box graded," a research paper with a one-on-one faculty adviser (my older DD hasn't gone through this yet so I'm going off of commentary from other parents who've had kids complete the program). My sister-in-law thought that it was great for her DD who is similar to mine. Then again, that kid resents how much harder she had to work than her peers and still is somewhat bitter about it.

My DD ultimately will be the one who decides her path. I'm just trying to figure out if I should nudge her one way or the other.