Originally Posted by longcut
I'm sure an expert will chime in soon enough, but from what I have gathered, it is adaptive, and it does go above grade level, but there are three test versions, K-2, 2-5, and 6+. The scores do increase each year, and the student continues at the level they left off, but comparing against grade 3 probably isn't as accurate of an assumption as it would be if he'd taken the 2-5 grade test. Same as my DS in 4th (with a 240), his scores against grade 6 aren't quite the same, because of the lower number and diversity of questions available at the ceiling. Someone please correct me if I got that wrong!

I am curious, too, though, if a child scores really high on the younger test, should they move the child to the higher grade test a year early, to finesse out gaps and breadth?

I did not realize that the test for 1st grade is a different test from the 2nd grade test my older DS8 took two years ago. I guess even the test is at a lower level and less diverse for my DS6, I do agree that a higher grade test would be a better choice for him to take next time, as he's already reached the ceiling for his grade level test. Not sure if the school would do that for him though.