Originally Posted by Dittos
His geometry teacher is docking his homework and tests for spelling and hand writing on all of the proofs.

During conferences, I noted his 504 plan that gives him accommodation in these areas. His teacher told me, 'he does not give students a pass in any area. If they can't do all the work then they don't get the grade'.

This infuriates me. Your son has a disability with a legal document protecting him from discrimination, and allowing him to access his education. If the class was required to copy problems from the board, would the teacher refuse to accommodate a blind student? If a student was hard of hearing, would he refuse to let that child sit near the front of the class? What if a kid broke his arm? Would the student get marked down for poor handwriting until his arm was out of a cast?!!

If it were me, I'd be on the phone with the 504 coordinator today, demanding that the teacher get schooled in how to properly follow the 504. I would also want to see the tests to see how many tests and papers were effected by the teacher's refusal to follow the 504. Especially since your son is in 9th grade, and this grade will be in his high school transcript, I would want the grades changed to reflect how your student is performing in class, rather than reflecting the teacher's prejudice against a student with a documented disability.

Just me, but I wouldn't tread lightly. The teacher sounds like a jerk and you need to meet his bully-bombast with equal conviction.

smile

Last edited by syoblrig; 10/27/15 10:34 AM.