Originally Posted by puffin
So is the plan for her to go to year 2 or year 3 next year? How is she for writing. Both my kids are weaker in writing which adds problems. I am hoping ds6 gets put in a year 2/3 class next year if they have one so he can work at year three level even if the insist him being year 2.Until he flipped and had an immense and violent meltdown on Monday I was hoping they would reverse their stance and put him up to year 3. He is not as quick as your daughter though he tends to learn erratically so he jumps then plateaus while he focuses on another area.

I hope it goes well.

OK it is a 1/2 class. Make sure she is classified as year 2. She should be with a May birthday but they may automatically reclassify her as a year one again. You don't want to change schools or have a principal change and find the skip was never official. My eldest had a late March birthday so he was not much younger when he went into year 2.

The plan is for year 2 in a year 1/2 class - she really ought o go into the 2/3 class, but that's a different battle. DD has confidence issues so being at the top of the class is not a bad thing.

Her writing is well above level both in content and form, no problem there. DD def leaps and plateaus, one of the reasons I'm so pleased the school offered the skip is I still spend half my time thinking DD is on the lower half of the curve... I think I would have stressed that she would need to "perform" if I pushed for the skip.

Thank you, at the end of the day if it doesn't go well she can repeat without it being a big deal as half the class will remain in the same room the following year.

Thanks for the advice re classification, the school has said it is our choice but the teacher is leaning on us to have her remain unclassified until year 4 (or 3 I don't know what the limit is) I wasn't sure what the consequences of that would be.