MA offers ZERO g/t state funding and that situation isn't going to change any time soon, unfortunately. There's also ZERO state mandate for g/t or 2e and that's also not, unfortunately, going to change any time soon.

Some towns and cities offer g/t (Waltham, Framingham, Brookline come to mind) but it's not the norm. Some towns and cities, such as Lexington as Bostonian mentioned, have more g/t kids than others - but again it's not the norm I'd say. However, even with a town like Lexington, there may be little for a pg kid until they reach middle/high school years and you may end up having to supplement at home or elsewhere until then. Middle school/high school ages is more often the beginning of the AP/advanced coursework options. Dual enrollment doesn't kick in until 14 yrs old and many community colleges and state colleges are age sticklers regardless.

Some pg kids are fine being in public school in MA and being with neurotypical kids. Others are not. Some gifted/2e kids are being accommodated in private schools but this is varies widely depending on the school and the child. It's not necessarily a given that x school would accommodate x child. It really depends on how far ahead away from the norm x child is; how much acceleration they need; if there's 2e issues; how well x child tolerates being with non-gifted kids; etc.

MA is an expensive state too. Towns, such as Lexington, tend to be very expensive and known for their uber competitiveness which is something to bear in mind. Some people find the pressure cooker type atmosphere to be too much or stifling and decide to live elsewhere. Others, though, thrive in such settings. Generally speaking, in a town such as Lexington kids may be operating a couple of grades ahead and/or more academically focused and inclined -- not the ones operating 4+ yrs ahead imho.

Since I am in the middle of moving out of MA with my 9-yr-old 2e/pg, I would completely dispute that there's a large number of pg/hg kids in the Boston/MA area. It is a highly educated state (commonwealth if I'm being precise) and therefore does attract a certain population. However, I disagree that 1) there's a large number of pg/hg kids in general in MA, and 2) the commonwealth can accommodate such kids. That's not been my experience. At all. Then again, pg kids can vary widely.

A number of families with gifted/2e kids are un/homeschooling in MA because, as mentioned, the education situation in MA varies widely and many families either cannot afford to live in the more affluent communities which may accommodate their kids or have difficulty finding or getting their kids accommodate with public/private schooling. Again, this situation varies widely based on geography and socioeconomic factors.

Some families in MA end up moving to NH due to the cost of living in MA and affordability to un/homeschool there as an alternative to the public/private situation in MA. But there are trade-offs with NH and working in MA -- dealing with Routes 93 and 128 come immediately to mind.