There are lots of reasons you are seeing this behavior. Not to put a worry into your head over nothing (because it is most likely just being 6 and under challenged), but for our ds it was an indication of 2e: he was years ahead of first grade cognitively, but he really *was* having a hard time writing his name. More likely for your ds is either that he's developmentally at a different place with handwriting or fine motor skills than he is with math computation, which is actually not all that unusual for young children to be ahead in one area and at grade/age level on another.

I'll also add - he's most likely ahead in some respects with math because he's receiving after-schooling enrichment in it. What type of work does he do in Mathnasium? Does it require much writing or is it answering questions, making marks, etc?

DS is laidback and would happily use only 5% of his knowledge. Am I overthinking that it's a start to underachievement?

I looked back at your previous posts so that I could get a sense of whether or not this has been an issue before - I am not trying to be nosy, just find it's helpful in putting together a response because there are so many different children on this board it's easy to forget who's who. My gut feeling after reading the previous posts is that you are over-thinking achievement and what it means to be "gifted". Life isn't a race to be won by pushing our children ahead, and I don't see anything you've posted here as a worry re potential underachievement as much as a typical 6 year old in terms of perhaps having some things not come easily or not wanting to work on some things. When our children *lead* us and beg for more challenge, that's a sign to provide it, and that does happen with *some* highly gifted children, but no matter how profoundly gifted any of our children may be, I personally don't believe it's a red flag to see a child refusing to do work in first grade as a sign that they are headed for underachievement. But. that's just me smile

Best wishes,

polarbear