Well in my house at that age.. Trying to get ANY homework done on a Saturday morning would have been useless. In my son's case homework used to (and some times still does but he's improved) takes up all available time. It NEVER worked to have DS do homework in the weekend in the morning to 'get it out of the way'. I just gave up and scheduled homework Sunday evenings/afternoons and the plan is to spend time earlier in the weekend looking over the homework so he can estimate how long it will take. Or if it's something that needs starting earlier.

As to the computer game, I've been through many of these tantrums. The 10 more minutes would have easily turned into 30. Kids really have very little sense of how much time it would really take to finish. In addition many games don't make it easy to stop only often only allowing you to save at certain points in the game. What helped with this for my DS was always giving a 10 minute warning & then a 5 minute one before he had to shut down a game. And then being slightly flexible on the 10 minutes as long as DS was actively working on shutting it down. Understanding the rhythm of the game he was playing helped us come to a compromise that worked for both of us.

Last edited by bluemagic; 09/21/15 11:09 AM.