Can you as a family use a big dry erase board (they are just fun to use) to brainstorm activities that go into different categories?

Not sure how old they are but the categories could be

food prep and baking (not limited to dinner but making breakfasts and lunches ahead for the next day).

Chores (those that contribute to a smooth running household and you do because you are part of a family as well asspecial chores that might earn them a bit of money.)

Games (individual games, games for two, games for three, games for any number). Out door and indoor.

Outdoor activities....again not sure of ages but sidewalk chalk, riding bikes, walks, explore your city and surrounding area and try to visit every park/playground...maybe they could review them and write a guide. "A kid's guide to our town's area parks" (take pictures to add to guide)

Activities with paper and pencil

Activities with books (do author studies where you read multiple books by same author and a biography on the author...bill Peet is a great example...he has a great autobiography and tons of books. Brainstorm non fictions things they want to learn about.

Weekly trips to library bring home several books on topics they are interested in. So this week is mummy/Egypt week. Next week is Mozart week.

Explore what programming the library has, participate in programs of interest.

Have them learn about newspapers (before they disappear) and design and write a family newspaper to mail out to family members monthly (my son did this when he was young and looking back on it, it is hysterical the stories he reported...he decided to do this after reading a spongebob book about writing a newspaper)

Look on homeschool websites for more ideas, have them brainstorm....my ten year old does things like creates Legos with eyes closed (lol)

Put all these ideas in decorated shoe boxes or other containers....you might want to divide them into inside activities....activities that involve leaving the house and driving...outside, etc.

Then maybe make a loose schedule...we come home and do x first. Then we either work on food prep or do one chore. Then we either play a game or go on an outing. Free time in the evening either figure something out on your own or pick from our brainstorming boxes

After a while they will get it.

Btw my kids love things like uno and backgammon.