Originally Posted by Ametrine
An example of this is something that happened last night at bedtime. DS was using the toilet and found a fly on his countertop staggering around. He allowed it to climb unto his finger and came out to show us. He said he saw it flying around earlier just fine and was wanting to know why it was acting strangely now. We knee-jerk reacted to a fly crawling on his hand and told him to flush it down the toilet and wash his hands; that flies are dirty. He didn't want to put it in the toilet, but did with tears in his eyes. He refused to flush it and told me he just couldn't do it. I looked into the toilet and the darned thing was crawling back out, so I flushed it down.
When he was in bed, with tears running down his cheeks, he wanted to know where the fly would go, if it felt any pain, etc. I told him it was just dead and it happened so fast he felt no pain. Then I had to explain he had had a long life and was feeling poorly, so flushing him was putting him out of his misery. *eye roll*

I can see how this sort of emotional concern for a bug may eventually give him grief with the guys. Which reminds me: has anyone seen the commercial for Kleenex where a boy is on a bus and speaks to a girl crying? This is like my little guy!
We have the bug issue here, as well. If it's of any comfort, I'm pretty sure DS12 would not exhibit any concern about this around his peers. He's not the world's most socially aware child (understatement), but he would understand this would be socially awkward. He lets his sensitive side show a lot more at home than out in the world.

That compassion is a positive trait, IMO. I'd rather have that than a child who pulls wings off the fly! It is a bit overwhelming for all involved at times, though.