Originally Posted by ont2001
You cannot even compare AOPs with RSM. AOPs is for the kids who are looking for advanced math programs, but RSM is just for those who need extra help to get from a C- to a B-. RSM teachers are not real math teachers, and their curriculum is outdated. They never provide you with real help, and pretend they never heard of AOPs or other advanced programs. Also they are rude and impatient. We tried it and ran away. We have been using AOPs for 3 three years - the best you can find!
My three children will be returning to RSM this week, so obviously I disagree. The RSM teachers of our children have been competent, and our daughter formed a real bond with her teacher last year. I supervise the completion of the weekly homework for the younger two, now in 4th and 5th grade, and I am impressed by what they are able to do. My older two (out of three) children have taken AOPS classes, but for the middle child, who is bright but perhaps not gifted, the structure provided by weekly in-person classes and the nature of the curriculum may make RSM a better fit for him than AOPS. To counter the sarcastic "C- to a B-" comment, let me note that he was getting A's in regular school math before enrolling in RSM.