I remember this very bitterly from the year that DD took algebra II-- and again for Precalc/Trig. I'm so sorry.

What we found eventually helped was purchasing older editions of a few textbooks (thanks to the community members here who recommended resources)-- and I worked a lot of problems WITH my daughter. Basically, I took the place of a classroom teacher, since there, um-- wasn't any real instruction happening.

I can't say that I think Pearson is BETTER than Holt in any meaningful sense, pedagogically. In fact, just-- no-- to that idea.

What Pearson DOES have going for it is a website that includes homework "tutorial" videos that accompany each section in their math textbooks. There are also quizzes there to check in, and mostly, at least the solutions are correct. Pearson's materials are generally less error-laden than what you've described so far.

I don't know if that helps you any or not, but that is what I would do under the circumstances. Another, better online course, naturally would be a BETTER solution-- but probably not realistic. If your online provider is anything like ours was (and I'm guessing you're with "the other one" here smile ) then it's simply not an option. Administration will never accept it, because they OFFER the course... yes, this is ridiculous, but it's what they'll say.

Also true that it's not really fair to expect a student to learn everything through an EPGY/AOPS course and THEN also deal with this sort of nonsense on the side. It's like teaching someone to fly a highi-performance drone successfully while a swarm of gnats follows them everywhere. {sigh}

All of that to say that I understand exactly where you're coming from, and the constraints you're up against here. Your child NEEDS this class. THIS class. And it's basically... um... well-- FUBAR, I think, is the military term.

Learning the material is obviously very very important, as this is THE foundation year for the calculus sequence as it is now taught, IMO. At the same time, I have no idea just how students are expected to learn from anything so wrong-headed and error-riddled. My suspicion is that they DO NOT.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.