Originally Posted by CoastalMom
I asked DS last night, before seeing your post, if it was the same for fiction and non-fiction and he wasn't sure.
This takes quite a degree of self-awareness (it took me thirty years to realize I did this). So I would be surprised if most kids could articulate this.

He did say that it sometimes takes a long time for his voice to get tired.
Such as when the narrative is much more about events and plot advancement and much less about descriptions, introduction of new characters, and thoughts?

I suggested we run an experiment tracking types of books by how long until his voice tires and he was receptive but told me 'I'm not dyslexic' (he has a buddy who is & understands his dysgraphia is part of a family that includes dyslexia and dyscalculia). Interesting reaction.
I would likely say the same thing about myself (that I'm not dyslexic). But then again, I'm basing that statement on the fact that I don't have severe trouble with reading. However, I clearly don't find it as comfortable as some people do. I do know that people can be undiagnosed dyslexics and reach adulthood learning to read well enough. So who knows? smile

Did you say somewhere that your DS plays the piano? It would make a lot of sense that he would be natural in music if he is primarily an aural learner. This is yet another way I am like your son.