I think you have a reason to be concerned and understand where you are coming from in your post. If it's really a "poor" school, with many low-level kids, that will make it even more difficult for your child to fit into the classroom, if he is X years ahead as it is. I doubt there will be any other readers. The teacher may or may not be able to accommodate his needs, but even if she can, he will probably spend a lot of time looking at flashcards or phonic words like dog and cat. We are in an area that is average to above average in terms of socioeconomic status, and when DD started K she was the only kid reading. When DS started, there was one other kid, in a class of 23, who was at around the same level. The teacher had tons of books, puzzles, games, walls decorated, and even with all the resources, it didn't work out for DD (we ended up doing a grade acceleration). Were you talking about moving to a different district (sorry-can't remember)...If so, I would keep trying. In the meantime it might be worth it to try this classroom and see what benefit he gets out of it, if any, but I wouldn't get your expectations too high in terms of actual academic learning.

I just cleaned out a bunch of books from my house, and posted on Craigslist. About 5 teachers showed up, claiming they were new or switching grades and didn't have any books. So they really are paying out of pocket for a lot of stuff. Of course with the $75k salary many of the teachers receive here to work 9 months, I don't exactly feel too bad for them, but I gave everyone a deal, and then I donated about 100 leftover books to the new charter school opening up. I wanted to donate to them because I believe in their philosophy--give every kid the correct level work.