Originally Posted by MHID
Dumb question, but if they aren't involved with DYS can she join?

This forum is public, unlike the private forum for DYS families, so anyone can join. Posters don't need to have kids, gifted or otherwise, much less DYS level gifted kids.

I think that state statutes are intentionally very general and somewhat vague on the specfics for good reasons, including the programming and funding pieces. I kind of look at this situation a bit differently. It isn't an issue of a specific IQ number per se, but an issue of how extreme the child's cognitive ability and achievements are compared to his local peers. In the matter of portability of GT identification, including among states, I have seen situations where kids are simply removed from the GT programs when the new districts have evidence that the kids do not actually fit in with their own GT standards; conversely, kids who come in to another district/state without the GT label can either test in immediately or upon teacher recommendation after some time in the classroom. We still live in an era when localized control of education (curriculum, assessment, etc.) is idealized.