I don't even know what our state standards are smile FWIW, there are different id levels and different services provided in our school district.

From my perspective, it's a hugely complicated issue, defining what is and isn't gifted. While guidelines/criteria may very from district to district, programming varies also, as well as student population. It's quite possible that the classroom experience of a student who's in a Silicon-Valley-esque neighborhood with most students having highly educated parents might not need to be id'd as "gifted" because the peer group and resources available in the classroom drives a high-enough level of learning. OTOH, a child who is "only" at 90th percentile in a classroom in a poverty-challenged neighborhood may very well need to be id'd as gifted to get an appropriate education. At the end of the day, I feel like the gifted label is nothing more than that - a label. The issue is being sure students are able to access an appropriate level of educational challenge, and how that happens is going to vary between (and sometimes within) school districts.

polarbear