ok so just met with the teacher - it seems by submitting DD's report prior to school starting I have a great big neon sign above her head that says gifted (great!!!)

They are constantly assessing whether she is eligible for a skip, so this mornings meeting was to tell me that academically she is fine for a skip but not emotionally (I agree. I haven't asked or even suggested she needs a skip, but I suppose they can see that she'll need one at some point.

I got told I'd need to start think about high school options now and whether I wanted her to go to HS at 11/12 or not. As this school has composite "modern learning" rooms they have the ability to not assign a year level until 4th grade so they are invoking that right and saying she is an unclassified learner which means good news for us. They will reassess at the end of the year.

Anyway re the reading, teacher said that she could hand DD any book she liked and be confident of her ability to decode it, now she wants to primarily focus on the language arts side of things. I'm happy that she is motivated and has the resources to deliver on this.

I guess my main concern is not whether the school will follow through so much as whether this will benefit DD rather than just being let loose with the schools reading curriculum...