Update!
We met with the superintendent and principal. It was a predictable meeting (heard the same ol' routine about how early is damaging).

However, they agreed to consider an early Kindergarten scenario, which would be either transitional kindergarten in the fall or traditional kindergarten in the spring once he turns 5. Transitional K gives some flexibility in on the legal end because he is two months after the cutoff and they felt the board might see that as a possibly solution because four year olds do attend TK. Then, after winter break, traditional K would be considered, moving him into 1st at age 5.5. Which of course, will not be his academic level but the best compromise available. He will be at a 2nd and 3rd grade level at age 5.5.

They are asking for letters of recommendation from our child psychologist and anyone who feels he would be best served by entering Kindergarten early, a copy of his full psych report which was done by the school district and a letter from us with our request.

They said they will read the documents and decide if they would like to present it to the school board for a final decision.
There are only two more board meetings before school begins.

I'm relieved we got this far. Not sure if they are taking us seriously or placating us with more paperwork to come up with in a very short amount of time.

My husband feels strongly that if they say no, they should have a plan of what would they do to accomodate him. They literally have no alternative at this time and freely admit that they have no options for him.

They did say an academic assessment would be involved. I can't help but hope it's a district academic achievement assessment that could qualify him for DYS.

I'm sick to my stomach thinking about-what if he can't go to K early, what are we going to do? We feel that entering at 5.5 is absolutely not an option. So now we are outlining other options and trying to expand our mind about things like skipping K altogether.