I am glad that it worked our for your DS. It's fortunate that there was someone in the main office and that she was permitted to sign him in. Maybe because we were at a large public high school with a couple of dozen different testing rooms with 20-25 kids (except for the special accommodations rooms), each set of proctors control the sign in process for their own testing room. This is after the first general (very long) line which gives you access to the bulletin boards, which then direct you to the correct 2nd line into your assigned room.

It's also amazing that despite the discomfort, your DS was able to do as well as he did in practice. I think that most test takers do not do as well on the actual exam for a host of reasons. I have to laugh about the long list of prohibited behaviors and just the fact that it took more than half an hour for the instructions and filling in of general information before the kids could get to the essay (first of 10 sections).

The copying of the cursive statement was a complete surprise. The proctor was sympathetic and told him to fake it but the rules are designed to help detect fraud. I assume most normal kids probably would not have a problem with cursive but DS just never picked it up on his own like DD did after one lesson provided by the school in 3rd grade.