Nice job bringing this up Quantum, DS 6th took the ACT a couple weeks ago and we had some issues we were not prepared for (but should have been).

On our drive to the test center a local prep high school my son was reading the test day information. He was really concerned about the ID statements, I told him don't sweat it (it did not have the calming effect I thought it might). When we got there the line was a mile long and still growing. He got in line and I backed off and went in and sat in the lobby since he was surrounded by older kids and no parents. I later went up to the head of the line to talk to the lady checking people in and checking IDs. I told her that there was a 6th grader in line and he did not have any ID and he was from NUMATS. All she told me was I could not be in the building, and then glared at me. I backed off and went to the school office and talked to the main admin/curriculum lady. I told her the situation and told her I was going to get my ds out of line and she could check him in and then he would go to his room if he wanted. She said that was awesome she was very nice and did just that.

My ds took the EXPLORE in 3rd and we made up some chase the stress away pre test rituals if he needed them. Small drinks if you feel thirsty and he had a bag of M&Ms. If he felt the need have an M&M the teacher there was very respectful of this. But when taking the ACT or SAT it is a big NO NO. My ds while waiting for the start popped an M&M in his mouth and the proctor told him No food or drinks in the room and if he had to tell him again he would be dismissed. So he loaded up his backpack and put it in the hall. DS likes to wear his running watch during testing. When he has 5 minutes left he can go back to questions he was pondering or look ahead and hit the easy questions and then fill in the rest of the bubbles if needed. Then during the first test his watched chimed (it is very very low chime). He was told to not let it happen again or he would be dismissed. He didn't know how to reset it so he gave it to the proctor and told him to hold it for him.

Find the bathrooms a big YES, and use them. It took about an hour before they started the first test. So at the end of the first test my ds thought since it took so long to get started they would give them a 5 minute break to go to the restroom, he really had to go. No, they were all handed the 60 minute math section. He was miserable.

The last 2 sections went better. On his break he hit the rest room popped some M&Ms and took a drink of water.

He finished like a Champ and ended up doing just about the same as his practice test. He apologized and said he was sure he didn’t do very good on the English and Math. He said he had to use the bathroom soo bad he could not even think. I told him I was so sorry and felt like a total idiot for putting him through this. He said its ok. it wasn’t so bad but what was the point of taking this test. I said good question.

One thing he commented on the most was all the checks and “Prohibited Behavior” things they went over at the start of the test. He couldn’t believe they actually have to threaten them not to cheat. He said they stand there and watch you take the whole test.

One good thing, an 8th grade kid he knew was in his room and asked him afterward how he got in so fast when he was way behind him.
He said "I got connections".

Sorry so long.

I did find a test day prep guide that has a lot of good ideas in it.

https://greentestprep.com/resources/sat-prep/test-day-preparation/day-of-your-test/

Last edited by mecreature; 06/29/15 12:29 PM.