I gave in and got a cell phone when I sent DS7 to school, mostly to make DH feel better for my safety. I doubt we even use it once a month. It is handy to have when meeting a group of people in a place far from home...which we do a couple of times a year, maybe. I did use it a lot at the Summit this year to hook up with people from this very forum! So that was well worth the money to me.

My usual comment before I got the cell phone still holds true, though: "I'm a stay-at-home mom. Where exactly am I going that I need a cell phone?" Most days, it seems positively pointless to me.

I also think of something that Oprah said on her show a few years back: "Who is everybody talking to!?!" That's what I wonder, too.

I hear people narrating their lives as they walk through the store: "...and I'm going down the produce aisle. Oh, look. Carrots are on sale..." Shut up already! Are you talking to communicate or just talking to hear the sound of your own voice?

The other pet peeve of mine is people exercising together at the park but talking on the phone to someone else. Is that really necessary? Could we maybe live in the moment a bit more? Ugh.

The kids don't have a phone and won't for as long as I can avoid it.

oh, and I'm an autodidact about the Norse, so clearly, I'm a big fan! smile

Kriston