We had an OT involved at an earlier stage, with minimal improvement. Both the psychologist and pediatrician believe there is nothing to be gained/learned by going down that route again (we have a lot of confidence in both, so haven't questioned that conclusion). If this sounds like a DCD situation, we'd likely have to go back to one or both for a reassessment.

DS9 is supposed to use Dragon at school, but that hasn't been happening. Both the iPad Dragon app and the iPad's own system have trouble accurately catching his voice. We are hoping the full Dragon program will work, but as the school year draws to a close it seems it will fall to me to figure that out!

I haven't heard of Google Read+Write - thanks for the tip, aeh, I'll check it out.

I'm torn between not wanting to torture him if typing really is exhausting and ensuring he has at least rudimentary skills with something that could really help him in the future. He can handwrite, when necessary, so that skill is sufficiently covered (I love your DD's attitude, Pemberley!), but typing seems too useful to give up on. I worry I'll join the ranks of those he sees as unsupportive if I continue to push it - he really needs me unequivocally in his corner right now. Our school year can't end soon enough!